Friday, October 19, 2007

Goodbye, Friend!

In a post below is Don Mcleay’s obituary that was published today in the Free Lance Star. Don was chief of the Fredericksburg Scottish Society. I had gotten to know Don this year. I knew his daughter Cynthia from my time affiliated with the Episcopal Church for a several years before. She would tell me about her Dad every time she saw me in a kilt or when I was talking about Scotland.

Don was a quiet and unassuming type of guy. He went about getting things done in sure and thoughtful way. At a meeting of the Scottish Society this week I learned how Don had given much to that group. He will be sorely missed by them.

Don shared his spiritual walk with me. I have many similarities to what Don had experienced. Both affiliated with religion in our cases Episcopalian. In dramatic ways both becoming ‘born again’ and developing a personal relationship with Jesus. Both would be part of the charismatic movement in the Episcopal Church. Both would be the senior warden (lay leader) of the same church (same priest) just different times.

I said goodbye to Don two weeks this upcoming Sunday. I knew the next time would I see him would be the other side of eternity. Till I get home, Don. See you, friend.